Do you have any idea why most of the people get a better performance when using paste and others don’t? Want to know how to apply thermal paste and get the best performance for your system?
It is one of the most vital features of building a PC. It is not mentioned in most of the reviews but knowing how to apply it correctly. which is important for both cooling and performance.
What Is Thermal Paste?
It is a thermal interface material that is used to be apply between the them and the cooler. It is use to improve thermal conductivity and contact between the surfaces. it can also help to reduce noise levels from the cooler and processor.
Types Of CPU Or GPU Compound
When it comes to paste there are a few different types that you might encounter. Some GPUs use thermal compound that is a paste like material. It is place over the chip and then sealed with heat.
This type of compound is usually used on smaller chipsets and graphics cards. But some CPUs use thermal interface materials which are much like paste but they are place on top of the chip instead of spread over it.
Thermal interface materials are usually used on larger chipsets and graphics cards.
There Are Few Things To Keep In Mind When Applying Thermal Paste
1. Make sure that the chip is clean before applying the paste. Dirty surfaces will cause the compound to stick to them instead of the chip.
2. Always apply a thin layer of paste to the chip. Too much paste can cause heat transfer problems and can also make it difficult to remove the paste later on.
3. Wait until the compound has cooled before you try to remove it. Applying too much heat can damage the chip or even cause it to fail.
Which Type Of Compound Should You Use?
Market is full of different kind of paste with some of them have drawbacks while some of them have benefits. if you have applied the wrong type read on for instructions on how to correct the situation.
The most common type is compose of two separate substances. A heat conducting adhesive and a filler. When the paste is apply to a CPU or GPU the heat conducting adhesive contacts the chip. which begins to transfer heat.
The filler then helps to spread the heat evenly across the chip. Preventing it from heating up too much in specific areas.
There Are Two Main Types Of Heat Conducting Adhesives
1. Thermal Pads And Conductive Paste
Thermal pads are thin pieces of material that adhere to the surface of your chip. They work well if you only need temporary protection from heat.
They do not provide as good of a thermal transfer rate as conductive paste. Conductive paste is make up of small balls that are coated with an adhesive. When it is apply to your chip the balls spread the heat out across its surface.
Best Practices For Applying Thermal Paste
One of the most common questions we are ask is how to apply it to a CPU or GPU. Here are some helpful tips.
1. First step is you should apply only small thin layer of paste to the CPU surface. Too much paste can cause heat transfer problems and could also damage the component.
A thin layer of paste will help to transfer heat and prevent damage.
2. Make sure the surface of the CPU is clean before applying it. Dirt, grease, and other debris can accumulate over time and create a poor surface for heat transfer.
Cleaning the surface will make sure good contact between the paste and the component.
3. Apply the paste in a crosshatch pattern using your fingers or a brush. The crosshatch pattern helps to distribute throughout the surface of the component.
Do not press too hard on the paste while applying it. This could cause damage to the component. Instead use gentle pressure to spread it across the surface
When it comes to paste there are a few best practices that everyone should follow. Apply a thin layer of paste to the CPU or GPU.
Don’t let any bubble remain. Finally wait for the paste to cool before installing the cooler or graphics card.
Different Types Of Thermal Paste And Their Benefits
It is a material that is used to help improve the performance of processors and graphics cards.
1. Non Resistive Thermal Paste
Non resistive paste is one of the most common types of paste. It is manufacture from a mixture of polymers and metal particles.
it works by transferring heat from the processor or graphics card to the heatsink. This type of paste is generally cheaper than other type. It has minimal effects on the cooling system.
2. Resistive Thermal Paste
Resistive paste is make up of metal flakes that have bond together with a polymer resin. This type of paste is more expensive than non-resistive paste. It has several advantages.
First it provides better heat dissipation than non-resistive paste. Second it can resist damage from extreme temperatures.
Which can prolong the life of your processor or graphics card. Finally resistive paste can provide a more consistent performance across many.
How To Apply Thermal Paste To Your CPU Or GPU
it is a key part of your PC system and it is important to apply it for greatest performance. Follow these tips to apply it:
1. Make sure the CPU is clean and free from dust, debris, and oils.
2. Use only small amount of thin layer to the CPU surface.
3. Make sure the paste is spread across the surface.
4. Press down on the paste to make sure it’s adhered to the surface.
5. Wait for thepaste to cool before applying any additional heat or pressure.
You Might Be Intrested In Reading: