Do you have any idea why most of the people get a better performance when using paste and others don’t? Want to know how to apply thermal paste properly and get the best performance for your system?
It is one of the most vital features of building a PC. It is not mentioned in most of the reviews but knowing how to apply it correctly is important for both cooling and performance. We have note down some of the amazing steps which will ensure your CPU or GPU is cooled properly and efficiently.
What Is Thermal Paste?
It is a thermal interface material that is applied between the them and the cooler. It is used to improve thermal conductivity and contact between the surfaces. it can also help to reduce noise levels from the cooler and processor.
Types Of CPU Or GPU Compound
When it comes to paste there are a few different types that you might encounter. Some GPUs use thermal compound that is a paste like material that is spread over the chip and then sealed with heat. This type of compound is usually used on smaller chipsets and graphics cards. On the other hand some CPUs use thermal interface materials which are much like paste but they are placed on top of the chip instead of spread over it. Thermal interface materials are usually used on larger chipsets and graphics cards.
There Are Few Things To Keep In Mind When Applying Thermal Paste
1. Make sure that the chip is clean before applying the paste. Dirty surfaces will cause the compound to stick to them instead of the chip.
2. Always apply a thin layer of paste to the chip. Too much paste can cause heat transfer problems and can also make it difficult to remove the paste later on.
3. Wait until the compound has fully cooled before you try to remove it. Applying too much heat can damage the chip or even cause it to fail.
Which Type Of Compound Should You Use?
Market is full of different kind of paste with some of them have drawbacks while some of them have benefits. If you are not sure which type to use or if you have applied the wrong type read on for instructions on how to correct the situation.
The most common type is composed of two separate substances. A heat conducting adhesive and a filler. When the paste is applied to a CPU or GPU the heat conducting adhesive contacts the chip is surface and begins to transfer heat. The filler then helps to spread the heat evenly across the chip preventing it from heating up too much in specific areas.
There Are Two Main Types Of Heat Conducting Adhesives
1. Thermal Pads And Conductive Paste
Thermal pads are thin pieces of material that adhere to the surface of your chip. They work well if you only need temporary protection from heat but they do not provide as good of a thermal transfer rate as conductive paste. Conductive paste is made up of small balls that are coated with an adhesive. When it is applied to your chip the balls spread the heat out evenly across its surface.
Best Practices For Applying Thermal Paste
One of the most common questions we are asked is how to correctly apply it to a CPU or GPU. Here are some helpful tips.
1. First step is you should apply only small thin layer of paste to the CPU surface. Too much paste can cause heat transfer problems and could also damage the component. A thin layer of paste will help to ensure good heat transfer and prevent damage.
2. Make sure the surface of the CPU is completely clean before applying it. Dirt, grease, and other debris can accumulate over time and create a poor surface for heat transfer. Cleaning the surface will help to ensure good contact between the paste and the component.
3. Apply the paste in a crosshatch pattern using your fingers or a brush. The crosshatch pattern helps to distribute heat more evenly throughout the surface of the component. Do not press too hard on the paste while applying it. This could cause damage to the component. Instead use gentle pressure to spread it evenly across the surface
When it comes to paste there are a few best practices that everyone should follow. Most importantly apply a thin layer of paste to the CPU or GPU. Don’t let any bubble remain. Finally wait for the paste to cool before installing the cooler or graphics card.
Different Types Of Thermal Paste And Their Benefits
It is a material that is used to help improve the performance of processors and graphics cards.
1. Non Resistive Thermal Paste
Non resistive paste is one of the most common types of paste. It is made up of a mixture of polymers and metal particles and it works by transferring heat from the processor or graphics card to the heatsink. This type of paste is generally cheaper than other types and it has minimal effects on the overall cooling system.
2. Resistive Thermal Paste
Resistive paste is made up of metal flakes that have been bonded together with a polymer resin. This type of paste is more expensive than non-resistive paste, but it has several advantages. First it provides better heat dissipation than non-resistive paste. Second it can resist damage from extreme temperatures, which can prolong the life of your processor or graphics card. Finally resistive paste can provide a more consistent performance across multiple
How To Apply Thermal Paste Correctly To Your CPU Or GPU
it is a key part of your PC system and it is important to apply it correctly for maximum performance. Follow these tips to apply it correctly:
1. Make sure the CPU is clean and free from dust, debris, and oils.
2. Use only small amount of thin layer to the CPU surface.
3. Make sure the paste is evenly spread across the surface.
4. Press down firmly on the paste to make sure it’s fully adhered to the surface.
5. Wait for thepaste to cool before applying any additional heat or pressure.
You Might Be Intrested In Reading: